Wednesday, August 20, 2008

wait for it

Last Sunday was Dinner Party. It was so much fun. Thank you to everyone that made it out. I definitely want to keep this up.

Monday I went to see Sex in the City with Angie. I wasn't a huge fan of the show, but I liked it. For whatever reason I felt like I needed to be more grown up in my life. Like how I'm acting now is just a phase, that I'm not a real grown up. I know what I would need to do to become more grown up, but I don't think I could give it all up. Maybe that's who I am. The adult that never grew up. The one that still thinks burping and farting are hilarious, won't match my socks, have and make Ugly Dolls, and all the other things that seem to be me.

I have to tell you about this guy that called into work today. As some of you know there is an automated system you have to go through before you get a live person and pretty much any big corporation. This guy gets to me and I say Welcome to the Bank. This is Brooke. May I have your name please? He gives his name. I ask for his account number or SSN. He says he just gave it to the other lady. (Automated system, I love when people thinks it's real) I apologized an said the numbers he punched it doesn't come over to me. No problem he'll give it to me again. The next thing I hear is this man punching the numbers into this phone!! What the hell? When he's done I tell him I need to to give the number to me. He punches them in again. I have to tell him that I am a live person and when he punches the numbers into his phone all I get are beeps and I don't know what the numbers are. He sounds confused and goes well I don't know what he beeps mean either. Then proceeds to punch it in a third time. I'm a little pissed at this time. He comes back on and I have to tell him again I am not a machine but a live human being and I need to to say the numbers to me. He STILL doesn't get it. I say sir I need you to give me the numbers out loud. Like if the card starts with a 1 I need you to say one, not push it in the phone pad. He finally gets it and gives me the number. Kicker is turns out I couldn't even help him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

beep boop beep beep boop... wait, what, you don't know what that means?

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud when I read about the guy at work.

Brooke, I think you are perfectly grown up. You have a job, you cook, you are getting married. What more can one expect. If you are not grown up enough, then that means neither am I. I mean I dont' even cook, I'm only going to work part-time, and I still work as a babysitter! I paint my nails funky colors and draw hearts on them. One of my favorite past times is coloring and I read and enjoy children's books. If you didn't find burps and farts funny, stopped making ugly dolls, then you wouldn't be you.

My favorite aunt was a woman who lived off her paintings. She preferred not to work a real job if she could help it. She found burping and farting absolutely hilarious. And the one person no matter how loud and obnoxious she got, you never really felt embarrassed, because you were too busy laughing. She hated to cook, she hated to clean for that matter, but she was one of the funnest coolest people to be around. Actually I would say she was very un-grown up like. More ungrown-up than you. And yet, I wouldn't have wanted her to change for the world. And you too, I feel the same.

Here's my religious beliefs coming out, but I think we are all created to have different interests, to express ourselves differently for a reason, because God wants to enjoy us. I believe that God and his angels (because it's biblical) watch us and laugh with us... and for that matter cry with us. What God values most, (also biblical) is we love him and we love each other. And you are one person whom loves people. You treat people as if they are truly and utterly important. You put your heart and soul into people, and let them know that when you are with them that you value whom they are. I think that is a truly amazing gift that few people have. I think grown-uppy type people sometimes get too caught up in their own lives and developing success they lose sight of the important things. I honestly feel you are one person who has not lost sight of what is truly important. Okay, now this comment is longer than your post. Anyway, thanks for coming with me. Sorry it wasn't your type. :) Don't ever feel you should be different. It works for you.